It’s National Vegetarian Week! The week to celebrate all things veggie! Vegetarians can often be left out of the barbecue fun due to the huge focus on meat. However, BBQ tips are here to try and change that with these tofu and vegetable skewers!
The tofu and the vegetables easily pick up the smoke from the barbecue, packing them full of flavour. Not only that they’re super quick and easy to make, making it a recipe even the kids can enjoy getting involved in!
Serves: 6 people
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 block of tofu (about 180 grams)
- 1 pineapple
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 12 skewers, (don’t forget to soak them in water for 30 mins beforehand so they don’t burn on the barbecue!)
- Firmly press the tofu to extract the liquid. – To do this we usually just put something with a bit of weight on top of the tofu for about half an hour (you can soak the skewers in water at this stage too!). Once pressed, marinate the tofu in soy sauce.
- While this is happening, you can prepare the veggies: slice the pineapple, cut the bell peppers, and red onions into cubes. Try to make sure everything is cut to a similar size.
- Assemble your skewers: place the vegetables and tofu alternately onto the skewers until you have used up all your ingredients
- Heat up the grill. Brush skewers with some olive oil and then place them onto the grill and cook for up to 15 mins, turning occasionally to ensure they are cooked evenly on both sides. — The vegetables should be softer (but not mushy!), the peppers beginning to char, and the tofu golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper right at the end of cooking, then brush with barbecue sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Remove the skewers from the grill and serve hot.
As part of our celebrations for National Vegetarian Week, we are also hosting a photo competition over on our Instagram! Share your favourite vegetarian dishes to cook on the barbecue for a chance to win a voucher to a supermarket of your choice. Just head over to our Instagram page to find out how to get involved to win!
Keep your eyes peeled for any of our new BBQ recipes and share with us any of your favourite BBQ snacks and pics!
For extra ideas don’t forget to take a look at our website