This Tofu Tacos recipe from Love and Melons is a brilliant take on a classic. It’s a great one for a party and tofu is delicious. We love this recipe at BBQ HQ Tips and fully suggest you give this one a try.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, sliced about ¼-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon agave
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder (or a few tablespoons of fresh minced onion)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- ½ cup very thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1-2 teaspoons rice or white wine vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons lime juice
- Sea salt
- Splash agave or pinch sugar (optional)
- ½ cup raw, unsalted cashews
- ½ cup water
- Juice of 1 lime (a few tablespoons)
- 1 small avocado
- ½ roasted jalapeño (chop up the other half as part of your taco filling)*
- Sea salt
- ½ teaspoon agave (optional)
- Splash white wine vinegar, to temper spice (optional)
- Grilled or roasted corn (I roasted corn at the same time I was roasting my jalapeño – it may need less time, but just watch it, it’s forgiving).
- Chopped jalapeños reserved from the sauce above
- Sprinkle the tofu slices with a generous amount of salt, place them between 2 towels, and put something heavy on top (a few heavy books or a large pot with some cans in it will do). Let sit for 20-30 minutes or so to drain out some of the moisture.
- Mix the marinade together: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and zest, garlic, agave, onion powder, paprika, chipotle, cumin, and salt and pepper. After pressing the tofu, cut it into rectangles and place it in a rimmed dish large enough for the tofu to fit in one layer. Pour on marinade and flip the tofu to coat both sides. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Make the red cabbage slaw: In a small bowl, mix the sliced cabbage with the vinegar, lime juice, a pinch of salt, and a splash of agave, if desired. Let sit, chilling in the fridge for 15-20 minutes or until you’re ready to serve. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Prepare the avocado cashew cream: In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews, water, lime juice, avocado, roasted jalapeño*, salt, and agave, if using. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding a splash of white wine vinegar if it’s too spicy. Chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, or until you’re ready to serve.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and grill 1-2 minutes per side – a grill pan is just fine if you don’t have an outdoor grill.
- Remove from heat and pour on the remaining marinade for extra flavour. (You can do this here because this is tofu and not fish or meat – don’t reuse the marinade if you’re doing this with fish or meat).
- Fill the tacos with the tofu, cabbage slaw, avocado cashew cream, corn, reserved jalapeño, or toppings of your choice.
Recipe Sourced From Love and Melons
More Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes Here