Sticky Barbecue Chicken Wings and Drumsticks
These sticky barbecue chicken wings and drumsticks are an excellent addition to any barbecue. They’re simple to make and can be marinated overnight.
- 12 chicken drumsticks (preferably free-range)
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 3 cm/1¼ piece of fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1½ tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp orange marmalade
- ½ tsp grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Slash the chicken drumsticks three to four times each with a sharp knife and place in a non-metallic bowl. Mix together all of the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Leave to marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight if you can, turning occasionally.
- Once it has marinated, place the chicken on the barbecue over medium-hot coals and cook for about 20 minutes, brushing with any marinade left in the dish as it cooks. If it’s colouring too quickly, move to a cooler part of the barbecue to cook more gently. It’s important you cook the chicken all the way through.
- If you’re unsure, pierce a drumstick with a skewer: if the juices are still pink, carry on cooking.