One of our favourite things to cook on the BBQ is a lovely, juicy steak. And what a better way to shake things up than make a steak sandwich?
Here at BBQ Tips, we don’t believe that BBQs are just for meat. All the ingredients used here are cooked on the BBQ to really seal in that smokey flavour. Whether you want a hearty lunch or something quick for dinner, this steak sandwich will certainly satisfy your stomach.
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 600g rump or flank steak, about 2cm thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 2 large ciabatta rolls, alternatively you can use 4 crusty rolls
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, either finely sliced or chopped
- 150g sliced peppers
- 100g sliced mushrooms
- 150 cheddar cheese, sliced. Alternatively, you can use another good melting cheese such as brie or camembert
- Hot sauce to serve (optional)
- Heat your BBQ grill until hot. Season the steak generously with some salt and ground black pepper. Sear the steak for 2-4 minutes each side until nicely coloured – aim for rare or medium-rare at this stage as we will also be heating the finished sandwich
- Cut and butter the rolls and warm them through on the grill, either in the embers of the fire or in a frying pan
- Add the olive oil to the pan, or use the flat plate on the BBQ to fry the onion for approximately 3 minutes, until they are just softening and beginning to colour
- Add the garlic, peppers and mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes
- Slice the steak and add to the mushrooms, onions, peppers. Season with some more salt and pepper.
- Open the rolls and top with the sliced steak, onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Divide the cheese down the length of each roll and place them back onto the BBQ grill, ember of the fire, on in the frying pan over moderate heat. Heat through slightly until the cheese is just melted.
- Serve immediately, cutting each ciabatta. Add some hot sauce or another sauce of your choice if desired.
Keep your eyes peeled for any of our new BBQ recipes and share with us any of your favourite BBQ snacks and pics!
For extra ideas don’t forget to take a look at our website