These spicy oven chips are perfect side dish for any barbecue, summer or winter. They’re guaranteed to be a favourite with all the kids.
- 8 medium potatoes
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 2½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- Vegetable oil
- First, preheat the oven to 430 F (220 C).
- Next, peel, wash, and dry the potatoes.
- Then, using a sharp knife, slice a 1/4-inch piece off the potato lengthwise in order to create a stable base for you to work with.
- Lay the potato flat on its cut side. Slice it into even planks. Then cut each plank into even wedges. Repeat with each potato.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites lightly. In a small bowl, combine the spices – chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Dip the cut potatoes in egg to coat. Sprinkle the spices over the potatoes and toss well to coat. Spray or brush a baking sheet with vegetable oil generously. Then place the wedges on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven (430 F – 220 C) for about 40 minutes.
- To make sure that your fries will keep their nice shape and will not break, move them around (using a spatula) every 5-7 minutes.
- Also sprinkled the fries with a little bit of additional vegetable oil while they were baking because they looked a little dry. You can do that, but you do not need to. It’s up to you.