The Spicy Grilled Calamari recipe serves 4 people, and the calamari is marinated iun the fridge for 30 minutes in a homemade paste.
- 1 pound cleaned baby squid (tubes and tentacles)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lemon
- 60ml/¼ cup olive oil
- Bamboo skewers
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- In a small mixing bowl, combine smoked paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic, along with zest from the lemon. Add 60ml/1/4 cup olive oil, stirring until you have a smooth, runny paste.
- Juice the zested lemon into a second small bowl. Spoon in 2 tbsp of the paprika paste and stir until combined. Cover and set aside.
- Pour the remaining paprika paste into a large zip-seal bag. Add squid, and toss to coat evenly with marinade. Seal the bag closed and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- While the squid is marinating, soak bamboo skewers in cold water to prevent them from charring, and preheat a gas or charcoal grill on high heat.
- After 30 minutes, remove the squid bodies and tentacles from the marinade and gently thread onto skewers (I like to use two skewers to prevent the food from spinning around, but it’s not entirely necessary). Discard the marinade.
- Place the skewers directly onto the preheated grill, and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side or just until the squid turn opaque. Remove from squid from heat immediately, and drizzle with the lemon juice and paprika mixture.
- Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
Recipe Sourced From Food52
More Seafood Recipes Here