Vegetarian or not, your guests will love this falafel burger. Spice up your BBQ menu with this scrumptious recipe.
- 100 g red cabbage finely shredded
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 400g tins chickpeas drained and dried on kitchen paper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 spring onions roughly chopped
- 1/2 a small bunch coriander roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp gram flour
- olive oil for frying
- 4 tbsp hummus
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- 6 burger buns toasted
- 6 beef tomato slices
- pickled chillies
- hot sauce
- Put the cabbage in a bowl with the lemon juice and a good pinch of salt. Toss together and leave while you make the burgers.
- To make the falafel – put the chickpeas, spices, green chillies, garlic, spring onions, coriander and flour in a food processor with 1 tsp of sea salt and whizz until broken down. Tip into a bowl, then shape into 6 falafel burgers with your hands. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan, then fry the burgers for 4-5 minutes each side until really crisp and golden.
- Mix the hummus, yogurt and some seasoning, then spread on both sides of the toasted buns. Put some cabbage on the bottom buns, top with the falafel burgers, a slice of tomato, a pickled chilli, some hot sauce and the bun tops, and serve.