Southern BBQ chicken has wonderful flavours that gives you the southern fried taste that everyone will love and enjoy.
Prep 15 minutes
Cooking time 55 minutes
Ready in 9 h 10 minutes
|· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 1 teaspoon black pepper
· 10 chicken drumsticks
|· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
· 3/4 cup ketchup
· 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
· 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mash brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a mortar and pestle to form a paste. Spoon paste into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken, coat with the paste, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours to overnight.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir ketchup, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce into onions; bring to a simmer and cook until flavours blend, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.
- Cook chicken on the preheated grill until lightly browned on all sides, about 1 minute per side.
- Turn off one of the grill burners or move the coals and move chicken so there is no heat source directly below it.
- Baste drumsticks with the sauce and cook another 10 minutes; turn again and baste chicken with sauce. Continue to grill drumsticks until juices run clear, 10 to 15 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Slow-grilling over indirect heat keeps this chicken moist and tender. Giving the drumsticks a long rub with seasonings makes them taste great. Always baste at the end of grilling to prevent the legs from burning.