Shoyu Chicken is a popular Hawaiian dish that is often served with rice. The dish gives you that exotic feeling that will make you feel like you really are in Hawaii.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tsp ground paprika optional
- 5 lb skinless chicken thighs
- Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic, onion, ginger, black pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken thighs, and toss to evenly coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade. Discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken thighs on the preheated grill until cooked through, about 15 minutes per side.
- Tip: Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier