It’s Shrove Tuesday! Which means there’s a legitimate excuse to eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Check out our recipe for cooking the perfect BBQ pancakes!
What makes bbq pancakes different from the just frying them? Cooking pancakes on the bbq gives them the perfect balance of crispy on the outside but fluffy in the middle. Plus there’s the added bonus of no flipping restrictions! Cooking on the barbecue means there’s no need to worry about making a mess inside. You can flip your pancakes as high as you like!
One of our top BBQ tips for making bbq pancakes is to make your batter prior and pour it into a bottle (such as a milk bottle). This ensures it pours easily onto the pan. Just remember to give it a good shake before and you’re good to go!
At BBQ Tips we like our pancakes American style, so this recipe is for American style thicker pancakes rather than crepes.
You will need:
- 135g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 130ml milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Start by preheating the grill. Remember the grill needs to be hot enough to heat a pan placed onto the grill. If you’re using a gas grill, just set it to a medium-high heat. If using a charcoal grill, open the vents wide to let the oxygen in and fuel the fire, then let the coals burn for at least 20 minutes until they ash over.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then whisk in the melted butter.
- Pour the two mixtures together and using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter. Any lumps will soon disappear with a little mixing. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Let the pan get hot for 5 minutes or so. Add a knob of butter. When it’s melted, add a ladle of batter It may seem very thick but don’t panic! This is how it should be. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm thick.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Load up your bbq pancakes with all your favourite toppings and you are ready to serve!
We challenge anybody to give it a go! It’s quick, easy and great fun. Whether you have a gas or a charcoal barbecue it doesn’t matter. they both will produce great results.
Share with us your Pancake day creations!
For extra ideas don’t forget to take a look at our website
Share with us your favourite pics on Facebook