The bank holiday weekend is nearly upon us! And what better way to celebrate than have a BBQ with some friends and family! If you’re unsure of what to put on the grill for your guests this weekend then look no further. This delicious and easy recipe for Lemon Marinated Chicken Skewers will be an instant hit!
Featuring a blend of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavours, the chicken is quickly marinated with a vibrant burst of lemon/lime, garlic, herbs and spices. It’s the perfect recipe for grilling and summer cookouts!
Difficulty Level: Easy
Serves: 6 people
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 5 – 10 minutes
- 1kg boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs (we recommend thighs if possible).
- 200g olive oil or vegetable oil
- 100g freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice. Alternatively, you can use 1 whole lemon or lime.
- 3 Tbsp fresh minced cilantro or parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh crushed garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you want to add a little heat)
- 6-8 wooden skewers (we recommend soaking them in cold water for 20 minutes during your prep time).
- Cut your chicken into 1 ½ inch pieces for skewering.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon/lime juice, cilantro or parsley, crushed garlic, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper. — If you are using a whole lemon/lime instead of juice then grate and add the zest.
- Place the chicken pieces into a glass dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken and stir to ensure it is fully coated.
- Cover the dish in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Allow the chicken to marinate in there for 20 minutes. — You can soak your wooden skewers in water this time too.
- Turn your BBQ on if you are using Gas. If using charcoal, don’t forget you will need to have started your BBQ an hour before cooking!
- After the chicken has marinated for 20 minutes, put them onto the skewers. The pieces should be evenly divided between 6 – 8 skewers.
- Grill the skewers over medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes. Turn the skewers during cooking until the chicken pieces are cooked through and juices run clear.
These chicken skewers go well with almost any side dish, so serve with one of your choosing. We recommend either a Mediterranean or couscous salad!
Keep your eyes peeled for any of our new BBQ recipes and share with us any of your favourite BBQ snacks and pics!
For extra ideas don’t forget to take a look at our website