This recipe for lamb loin fillets and roasted root vegetables and silere merino combines together a mixture of root vegetables with a apricot and raisins compote to really bring out the flavours in the lamb loin.
Total Time 1 h 40 min
For the Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 russet Potato, peeled, washed, dried sliced into batons
- 1 sweet Potato, peeled, washed, dried, sliced into batons
- 3 bulk carrots, peeled, washed, dried, sliced into batons
- ½ large red onion, sliced (1/4-inch-thick slices)
- 3-4 beets, peeled washed, dried, sliced into batons
- 8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 springs fresh thyme
For Apricot and Raisins Compote with Brandy and Wine
- 4-5 roasted garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 2 tbsp raisins of any kind
- 1 spring fresh thyme
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup brandy
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves, optional
- pinch of ground green cardamom
- pinch of Aleppo pepper or cayenne pepper
For the Merino Lamb Loin Fillets
- Olive oil
- 4 Silere merino lamb loin fillets
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Prepare the root vegetables. Be sure to cut the vegetables into large batons similar in size.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on an oiled large baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the thyme springs.
- Place in the 400 degrees F heated-oven to roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Be sure to turn the vegetables over halfway through cooking. If your oven is not very strong, you may want to place your vegetables on the lower oven rack.
- To prepare the compote, begin with roasting 4-5 whole garlic cloves, skin on. Simply place the garlic cloves in a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle generously with oil, and wrap the foil tightly around the garlic. Place in the already working 400 degrees F oven for 25 minutes or so. Remove from the oven. When cooled enough to handle, peel the roasted garlic and crush lightly with a fork.
- In a heavy sauce pan, combine the apricots, raisins, cloves, thyme with the white wine and brandy. Heat on medium for about a minute, alcohol will reduce. Now stir in the butter to melt, then add the broth, roasted garlic, cinnamon, and remaining spices. Let simmer for 4 minutes or so. Remove from heat and set aside. Heat again before serving, if needed.
- Take the merino lamb loin fillets out of the fridge and set in room temperature for a brief 10 minutes.
- Remove the top layer of fat (fat cap). Season each loin fillet with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Lightly oil a cast iron grill or griddle and heat on medium-high. Grill each merino lamb loin fillet on one side for 4 minutes, then turn over and grill on the other side for 3 minutes. Remove from heat onto a large cutting board and let rest for five minutes.
- Slice each merino loin fillet diagonally. Assemble in a serving platter and top with a garnish of fresh parsley. Serve with the roasted root vegetables and the apricot and raisins compote on the side. Enjoy!