Make the humble chicken burger more exotic with this Korean alternative to the simple meal.
For the Burger
- 360 g chicken thighs
- oil for brushing the bbq bars or griddle
- 4 soft mixed seed deli rolls halved
- 1 little gem lettuce leaves separated
- 2 tsp ready-made Korean ssamjang sauce to serve
- 1 spring onion finely sliced, to serve
- sweet potato wedges to serve optional
For the Marinade
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 5 cm fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic glove crushed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
Print Recipe bbq chicken, chicken, chicken burger
- In a large bowl, mix together the marinade ingredients. Flatten out the chicken thighs and then add to the marinade, turning to coat. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Turn the meat after one hour and return to the fridge.
- Brush the bars of a preheated barbecue, or griddle, with oil. Cook the chicken over a medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes, turning once, until cooked through with no pink showing.
- Meanwhile, put the rolls, cut side down, on the barbecue and lightly toast. Fill with the lettuce leaves and the cooked chicken, then top each with 1/2 a tsp of the ssamjang sauce and a scattering of the spring onion.
- Serve with freshly cooked sweet potato wedges, if you like.