Herbed Lamb Kabobs with Toasted Couscous and Vegetables
This delicious recipe for herbed lamb kabobs with toasted couscous and vegetables is a perfect mixture of lamb, mint, bell peppers and asparagus.
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper (quartered, cored, and seeded)
- ½ pound baby zucchini (trimmed and halved lengthwise)
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (about 1-½ pounds, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1-½-inch cubes)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 128 g/1 cup couscous
- 320 ml/1¾ cups water
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 32 g/¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- In a small bowl whisk the marinade ingredients.
- Arrange the vegetables on a plate and brush all sides with some of the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Place the lamb cubes in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the remaining marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag several times to distribute the marinade, place the bag in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm the oil and cook the garlic until it sizzles. Stir in the couscous. Cook, stirring over low heat, until the couscous begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add the water and salt and heat to boiling. Stir once. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with the pine nuts.
- Remove the lamb cubes from the bag and discard the marinade. Thread the cubes onto skewers. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the skewers and the vegetables over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the meat is medium rare and the vegetables are cooked through, about 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and serve the kabobs warm with the couscous and vegetables.