Grilled tandoori chicken and red onion skewers with couscous certainly beat plain grilled chicken. Bottled tandoori spice mix makes prep work a snap (just ease up on the amount if you can’t stand too much heat).
Prep 20 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Ready in 30 minutes
|· 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 32 chunks (about 4 pieces per thigh)
· 1 1⁄4 cups plain fat-free yogurt, divided
· 2 tablespoons tandoori spice mix
· 1⁄2 cup cucumber, English variety, diced
· 3 tablespoons mint leaves, fresh, chopped
|· 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
· 1 medium red onion, cut into 16 wedges
· olive oil flavoured cooking spray (2 sprays)
· 2 cups cooked whole wheat couscous
- Put chicken, 1/2 cup of yogurt and spice mix in a resealable plastic food storage bag. Seal bag and turn to mix and coat. Place bag on a plate and refrigerate on lowest shelf for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- To make sauce, stir together remaining 3/4 cup of yogurt, cucumber, mint and salt in a small bowl until blended; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken and onion wedges onto 8 metal skewers, using 4 pieces of chicken and 2 pieces of onion per skewer. (If using wooden skewers soak them in water 30 minutes before use to prevent burning.) Coat chicken and onions with cooking spray.
- Grill skewers, turning often, until chicken is no longer pink in centre, about 7 to 9 minutes. Serve skewers over couscous with sauce on the side. Yields 2 skewers, 1/2 cup of couscous and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.