The Grilled Salt and Pepper Squid Thai Style recipe serves up to 4 people. The Squid is served with a Thai sweet chili sauce for dipping.
- 1/2 to 3/4 lb. cleaned/prepared calamari tubes, or enough for 2 people, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper (available in most spice aisles)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or regular salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chili flakes, to taste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder or onion salt
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1/2 lime, sliced into wedges
- optional: 1 Tbsp. fish sauce, to taste
- optional garnish: 1/4 cup fresh coriander, lightly chopped
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping (available at most supermarkets)
- Using a knife, cut open the calamari tubes so that they lie flat. Rinse the calamari and place on a tea towel or absorbent paper. Pat them dry. Dry them as well as possible, otherwise the spice mixture won’t stick. Cut the calamari lengthwise into strips (approx. 1 inch wide), and place in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the oil over the calamari and stir, ensuring all surfaces are covered. Mix the dry spices together in a cup or small bowl, then sprinkle over the oiled calamari. Toss until all the calamari strips are coated in the spices. Set aside to marinate while you heat up the grill.
- Lightly brush your grill with oil, then cook the calamari until edges curl up (some strips may curl completely into a circle) – this only takes 2-3 minutes per side, depending on the heat of your grill. Cooking tips: You want the calamari to be lightly browned and chewy, but not rubbery, so try not to overcook it. If your grill bars are too wide (so that the calamari might fall through), use a fish cage or place a piece of banana leaf (or foil) over the grill surface and cook over it.
- Place the calamari on a serving platter (if desired, over a bed of baby greens). Cut the 1/2 lime into wedges and squeeze over. Taste-test the calamari. If not salty enough, sprinkle over a little fish sauce or more salt. If too salty for your taste, add more fresh-squeezed lime juice. Add a final sprinkling of fresh coriander.
- Serve with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping. Note that this dish can be served over salad or with rice for a complete meal. ENJOY!