The Grilled Pork Belly with Chimichurri recipe involves marinating the pork belly for up to an hour in the chimichurri marinade.
Total Time: 55 min
For the Chimichurri Marinade:
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, packed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
For the pork belly:
- 2 lb (907 g) pork belly, skin removed
- Sea salt
- 6-8 bamboo or metal skewers
- To make the chimichurri marinade, combine the parsley, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, salt, red pepper, vinegar and olive oil in a food processor or high-speed blender. Pulse several times or run the blender until the parsley and garlic are broken down and everything is well mixed, about 10-15 seconds. Set aside. (This recipe makes about ¾ cup / 177 ml marinade.)
- Now you’ll cube the pork belly. Place the belly on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut long strips about an inch (2.5 cm) wide. Take each strip and cut it into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks.
- Place the pork belly in a ziptop bag or into a medium bowl and sprinkle with sea salt, then toss well. Now, pour in about ½ cup of the chimichurri marinade (reserving about ¼ cup for dipping) and toss well until the belly is coated. Refrigerate at least 30 min or up to 1 hour. If you’re using bamboo skewers, soak those in water while the meat marinates.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator and thread it onto the skewers, leaving a little space between each piece. Discard any of the marinade in the bag.
- Grill the skewers for about 10 minutes, turning often so each surface gets crispy and browned.
- Serve with the reserved marinade for dipping.