Grilled lamb kebabs with yogurt-mint sauce is a reliable combo of mint and lamb joins forces in these juicy kebabs with red onion, and a rich yogurt marinade.
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cup chopped cilantro
- ¾ cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tb chopped fresh mint
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ cup Tree Island Natural Greek yogurt
- 500 g ground BC lamb
- 12 wooden or metal skewers
- ½ cup Tree Island Natural Greek or Plain Cream Top yogurt
- 3 Tb packed fresh mint, chopped fine
- Pinch salt
- Place onion and fresh herbs in the work bowl of a food processor. Grind to a fine puree. (Alternatively, mince everything finely by hand.) Place this mixture in a medium bowl. Add the salt, paprika, cumin, allspice, turner, ginger, yogurt and lamb. Mix well, using your hands to make sure that all the ingredients are distributed evenly and the kebab mixture in uniform in colour and texture.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in warm water for at least 20 minutes prior to using. Preheat gas or charcoal grill. Divide lamb mixture into 12 even pieces. Mould each piece into a sausage shape, about 8 to 10 cm long. Wrap each one around the sharp end of one of the skewers, so that they look a bit like the photo. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, make the mint sauce. Mix together the finely chopped mint, the yogurt and the salt in a small serving bowl. Stir well to mix. Let sit to meld flavours while lamb is cooking.
- Brush grill with oil or spray with grill spray. Grill lamb kebabs over medium-hot fire for about 5 to 6 minutes per side, until lightly charred and juices are running clear. Be careful while turning the kebabs. If they are sticking, use a thin metal flipper to help turn them.
- Serve kebabs immediately, with mint sauce for dipping.