Grilled chicken with sour crème butterflied to make it easy to grill a whole chicken, then seasoned beneath the skin with a sour cream-herb mixture, this preparation guarantees a juicy, grilled chicken with lots of flavour.
Prep 20 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
Ready in 1 h 35 minutes
|· 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
· 96g (3/4 cup) sour cream
· 32g (1/4 cup) diced red onion
· 2 cloves garlic, diced
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
|· 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- To make the chicken easier to grill evenly, remove its backbone. Do this by placing the chicken breast side down on a work surface with the tail end facing you. With a boning knife or sturdy kitchen shears, cut from front to back next to the backbone. Turn the chicken so the neck end faces you and cut on the other side of the backbone. Remove the backbone and use it for making stock or discard. Turn the chicken over and cut through the tailbone or wish bone. Spread the chicken out flat so it’s ‘butterflied.’
- Mix together the sour cream, red onion, garlic, oregano, dill, salt, and pepper in a bowl and blend thoroughly. Gently lift the skin from the chicken being careful not to puncture or break the skin. Spoon the sour cream mixture under the skin, and massage gently to ease the mixture into all areas of the chicken. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Preheat a grill for medium heat. Lightly oil a grill grate, and place 4 inches from the heat source.
- Lightly brush the chicken with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on prepared grill skin side up. Cover the grill, and cook until the meat is firm and juices run clear when pierced with a knife, 45-55 minutes. There is no need to turn the chicken over.
Recipe Sourced From Allrecipes
More Whole Chicken Recipes Here