Avocados are spectacular fruits that lend themselves to all kinds of savoury dishes (and sweet ones too!). But it’s not often we think of enjoying them grilled.
Grilled in their skins, the avocados acquire a marvellous smoky flavour and their flesh becomes soft and warm. The tangy tomato salsa, spooned in the centre of the avocado halves, brings a wonderful contrast to the creamy flesh.
All in all, this is a fast and easy low-carb grilling option for the vegetarians in your household – no longer will they feel left out of all the smoky goodness that barbecuing brings! But most importantly: this appetiser is so delicious that everyone else will want some, too.
Active time 30 minutes
|For the salsa
· 1 jalapeño pepper – seeded and cut in to cubes
· 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
· 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
· 2 medium ripe beefsteak or vine tomatoes – seeded and cut in to cubes
· 1 tablespoon white balsamic or Champagne vinegar
· 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
· 8 large basil leaves – chopped
|For the avocados
· 2 large ripe-but-firm avocados
· 1 teaspoon lime juice
· 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
· sea salt to taste
- For the tomato salsa – Place the jalapeño, onion and salt in a pestle and mortar. Grind for 1 to 2 minutes, until the mixture starts looking like a paste. Place the tomato cubes in a medium bowl. Add the jalapeño mixture to the tomatoes. Drizzle with the vinegar and oil, and add the basil. Stir until well blended and set aside.
- Preheat grill or griddle to high heat. Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and carefully remove the pits. Do not peel the avocados. In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice and oil. Brush the cut side of the avocados with the lime mixture and sprinkle with salt to taste. Place the avocados cut-side-down on the grill until grill marks appear. Turn the avocados over and continue to grill until the skin is charred and the flesh has softened. Transfer to a plate and let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the avocados with salt again and spoon the tomato salsa in the center of each avocado half. Garnish with a basil leaf and serve with the balance of the tomato salsa on the side.
Recipe Sourced from Food and Style
More Vegan Recipes here