The Grilled Avocado Vegan recipe is an easy recipe where the avocado is grilled and filled with a homemade salsa to serve. Serves 4.
Active time 30 minutes
|For the salsa
· 1 jalapeño pepper – seeded and cut in 1/8″ cubes
· 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
· 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
· 2 medium ripe beefsteak or vine tomatoes – seeded and cut in 1/8″ cubes (2 cups)
· 1 tablespoon white balsamic or Champagne vinegar
· 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
· 8 large basil leaves – cut en chiffonade
|For the avocados
· 2 large ripe-but-firm avocados
· 1 teaspoon lime juice
· 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
· sea salt to taste
- For the tomato salsa – Place the jalapeño, onion and salt in a molcajete (Mexican stone mortar). Grind for 1 to 2 minutes, until the mixture starts looking like a paste. Place the tomato cubes in a medium bowl. Add the jalapeño mixture to the tomatoes. Drizzle with the vinegar and oil, and add the basil. Stir until well blended and set aside.
Cook’s note: If you don’t have a molcajete, use a regular mortar and pestle – but note, because it lacks the rough edges of the stone mortar, it will take a little bit longer to grind the mixture.
- Preheat grill or griddle to high heat. Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and carefully remove the pits. Do not peel the avocados. In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice and oil. Brush the cut side of the avocados with the lime mixture and sprinkle with salt to taste. Place the avocados cut-side-down on the grill until grill marks appear. Turn the avocados over and continue to grill until the skin is charred and the flesh has softened. Transfer to a plate and let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the avocados with salt again and spoon the tomato salsa in the center of each avocado half. Garnish with a basil leaf and serve with the balance of the tomato salsa on the side.