Cooking on the barbecue while spending some quality time with your family, what could be better?
That is exactly what we did for this week’s recipe in celebration of International Falafel Day, which is Falafel & Flatbread with Paprika Yoghurt.
This is a tasty recipe that is simple to cook on the barbecue, making it a great one to get the kids involved with. Although some may find that “helping out” consists of a small amount of prep, skipping the cooking part and then gladly eating it all, not sure how much of that you can call ‘helping out’!
The great thing about Falafel is you can have it as a starter, side dish or a main! It is completely up for debate, and we really cannot decide, but the versatility of it is what makes it so great!
The Yoghurt sauce can change to your liking, but we went with Natural Greek yoghurt with Paprika seasoning and a few extra bits which we will reveal in the recipe guide down below…
A real winner in our eyes!
- 2 cups / 300g plain flour (all-purpose flour) (level cups, + keep 1/4 cup extra for dusting & adjusting dough
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup / 100ml water
- 1/2 tbsp oil (for cooking)
Prep time: 25-30
Cook time: 7-10 mins
Difficulty level: 2/10
- Add the flour, salt, and water into a bowl, but not all the water. Then make a dip in the middle of the dough and slowly incorporate the flour with the water. Once the dough starts to come together, use your hands to form a ball of dough.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour and knead the dough for five minutes, or until it feels elastic. Put the dough back in the bowl, cover and set aside for 20 minutes. This type of dough is a lot harder on the hands than normal bread dough and will usually feel a bit heavier.
- Roll out your dough and divide it into 4 similar sized flatbread shapes, try and maintain the same thickness throughout so there are no complaints about who has the bigger bread!
- When ready stick them on the BBQ and keep an eye on the grill marks on the bread, you want it to cook evenly – not doughy in some places and too cooked in others.
- Plate up and enjoy with the rest of your meal!
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ½ lemon
- ¼ clove of garlic
- 100 g natural yoghurt
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: N/A
Difficulty level: 2/10
- Place the natural yoghurt into a bowl.
- Grate the garlic clove.
- Whisk the garlic, paprika and lemon juice into the yoghurt.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Your dip is ready to be enjoyed with the flatbread and falafel!
- 1 tin of Chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground Cumin
- Teaspoon of coriander
- Lemon zest
- Lime zest
- Sprinkle of flour
Prep time: 5/10 mins
Cook time: 5/10 mins
Difficulty level: 3/10
- First of all, empty the tin of chickpeas into a food processor.
- Add your 2 cloves of garlic into the container.
- Once the chickpeas and garlic have been processed place them into a big bowl as you will need to add other ingredients to the mix to make your falafel.
- Add a teaspoon of ground Cumin.
- Add a teaspoon of Coriander.
- Grate the zest of a lemon and lime into the mixture and mix again.
- Sprinkle a layer of flour into the mixture.
- Start forming the mixture into patties.
- Carefully place the patties onto the BBQ.
- When cooked let them cool down a little bit.
- You are now free to devour your homemade falafel!
For extra ideas, recipes and tips, don’t forget to take a look at our website