Prep Time: 48 hours
Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 1(14 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (to taste) (optional)
- 3 finely chopped green onions or 1⁄2 cup chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1dash hot pepper sauce (optional) or 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4lbs meaty beef ribs
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, except the beef, and adjust seasonings to taste (the sauce should have a good balance of sweet and savory flavors).
- Place the ribs in a large bowl, and coat with the sauce.
- Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours or as long as 48 hours, turning the ribs every so often.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Drain the ribs (reserving the sauce), and place them in a large roasting pan, bone-side down.
- Brush with sauce, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and turn the ribs over, brush with additional sauce, bake for another 30 minutes.
- Turn one more time, brush with the remaining sauce, and bake for another 35-40 minutes, or until ribs are tender, basting every so often.
- Note: the sauce may be doubled if desired.