Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 500g lamb leg steaks, cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 200ml (7fl oz) cola
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 8 closed cup mushrooms, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salad leaves, to serve (optional)
For the relish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 x 227g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Put the lamb pieces in a large bowl and pour over the cola. Cover with clingfilm and chill for 2-3 hours to marinate. Drain and discard the cola.
- To make the relish, heat the oil in a small pan, add the onion and garlic and cook over a gentle heat for 5 minutes until softened. Add the chilli and cook for a further minute. Turn up the heat and add the chopped tomatoes, sugar and white wine vinegar. Season to taste and simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- Thread 8 skewers with the lamb, courgette slices, peppers and mushrooms. Brush with the oil and cook on a preheated barbecue or griddle for 10-12 minutes, turning regularly, until completely cooked. Brush with more oil if necessary. Serve with the relish and salad.