We know these lamb kebabs are incredibly indulgent but every once in a while this dish is a real treat. The cola gives the meat a sweet and sticky glaze that you really can’t beat. It is a big flavour so you don’t need anything complicated to go with it, so this simple relish is perfect. Another crowd pleaser and something new and different to try with your next barbie.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 500g lamb leg steaks, cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 200ml (7fl oz) cola
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 8 closed cup mushrooms, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salad leaves, to serve (optional)
For the relish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 x 227g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Put the lamb pieces in a large bowl and pour over the cola. Cover with clingfilm and chill for 2-3 hours to marinate. Drain and discard the cola.
- To make the relish, heat the oil in a small pan, add the onion and garlic and cook over a gentle heat for 5 minutes until softened. Add the chilli and cook for a further minute. Turn up the heat and add the chopped tomatoes, sugar and white wine vinegar. Season to taste and simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- Thread 8 skewers with the lamb, courgette slices, peppers and mushrooms. Brush with the oil and cook on a preheated barbecue or griddle for 10-12 minutes, turning regularly, until completely cooked. Serve with the relish and salad.
Recipe sourced from Tesco
More Lamb Recipes here