The Chargrilled Pork Neck with Vermicelli Noodles recipe is a delicious marinated pork neck with vermicelli noodles and sprinkled shallots on top.
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 80 ml(⅓ cup) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 spring onions white part only, finely sliced, pounded in mortar and pestle to a paste
- 2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 500 g pork neck finely slice across the grain into 3 mm pieces
- 12 bamboo skewers soaked in water for 20 minutes, or 12 wooden chopsticks sliced down the middle
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 g rice vermicelli noodle cooked to packet instructions
- 5 mint leaves sliced
- 5 perilla leaves sliced
- 5 Vietnamese mint leaves sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber halved and sliced
- 2 handful beansprouts
- 120 g/½ cup dipping fish sauce
- 80 ml(⅓ cup) spring onion oil
- 42 g/⅓ cup fried red Asian shallots
- 42 g/⅓ cup crushed roasted peanuts
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, fish sauce, honey and pepper. Mix until sugar has dissolved. Add bashed spring onion, garlic and sliced pork neck. Coat the pork well then enclose the flavours with vegetable oil. Marinate for 2 hours or overnight for a better result.
- Thread the pork into the skewers and chargrill on medium to high heat for 1-2 minutes on each or until brown and cooked.
- Divide the cooked vermicelli noodle into four or six bowls, add sliced herbs, cucumber, beansprouts and 1-2 pork skewers to each bowl.
- Dress each bowl with 2 tablespoons of dipping fish sauce, a teaspoon of shallot oil, and sprinkle fried Asian shallots and crushed peanuts on top.