Chicken wings are a classic bite size snack food great to accompany any sporting event. What better way to bring some heat to the Big Game than with our classic and simple recipe for Buffalo wings!
For this recipe we recommend cooking your wings on the BBQ grill and over a moderate flame. This ensures that the fat renders out and the chicken skin becomes beautifully crisp. Plain BBQ wings are still a great BBQ sharing snack but add our recipe for the Buffalo sauce and will take this classic recipe over the top.
Despite their being nothing wrong with a classic store bought hot sauce, here at BBQ Tips we like to spice things up in our own way! Here’s our recipe on how we make our own Buffalo sauce perfect for chicken wings.
First things first, what’s the difference between ordinary hot sauce and buffalo sauce?
And yes, there is a difference! The essential ingredients in hot sauce are hot peppers, salt, and vinegar. With buffalo sauce we add one key ingredient to make a whole lot of difference, and that ingredient is whisked melted butter. Add some butter to your hot sauce, and you have created buffalo sauce! Buffalo sauce is much smoother than hot sauce, and tends to have a richer flavour, a perfect combo for chicken.
Buffalo sauce is quick and easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. The base of buffalo sauce is cayenne pepper sauce, you can use any hot sauce you choose, such as Frank’s RedHot or Louisiana hot sauce. Next you will need butter, (to cool down the hot sauce a little), vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and spices.
- 1 cup Frank’s red-hot sauce/Louisiana Hot Sauce (This can be adjusted to depend on how hot you like your sauce! Use more to give a higher spice level!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (can be adjusted to make sauce thicker – add more butter for a thicker consistency)
- 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- Combine the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, garlic powder and paprika in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk frequently as the butter melts and allow the mixture to simmer.
- Once the sauce starts to bubble, remove the pan from the heat and whisk once more.
- Allow the sauce to cool slightly. Add a dash or two of salt, to taste.
- Leave to stand, the sauce will thicken on standing.
You can choose to serve your buffalo wings however you like! Use the buffalo sauce to have as a sizzling side dip to your wings or simply toss the wings and the sauce all together in a bowl to serve as saucy marinated wings. You can save any leftover sauce for future use. Simply refrigerate any leftovers and reheat for future use.
Keep your eyes peeled for any of our new BBQ recipes and share with us any of your favourite BBQ snacks and pics!
For extra ideas don’t forget to take a look at our website
Get updates on the go, follow us on Twitter