BBQ Jackfruit Buns with Apple Slaw
If you want something alternative to the usual vegetarian BBQ dish, try this recipe! With a unique and delicious taste, it will excite your taste buds and go down a treat with your guests.
- 400g prepared fresh or tinned brined jackfruit
- 250ml cider
- 4 burger buns (halved and toasted)
- 1 apple (peeled, cored and shredded)
- 1/2 carrot (shredded)
- 1/4 red cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1/2 a small bunch coriander (leaves picked)
- 150ml tomato ketchup
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp soft brown sugar
- a thumb-sized piece ginger (finely grated)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Break the jackfruit into pieces (if you’re using tinned, drain and rinse weland put in a pan with the cider and enough water to cover the fruit. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until all of the liquid has evaporated and the jackfruit is tender. Shred into strands using two forks.
- Mix together the slaw ingredients with some seasoning and leave to marinate for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, put all the BBQ sauce ingredients in a small pan and heat gently. Once simmering, remove from the heat.
- Stir ¾ of the BBQ sauce through the pulled jackfruit and gently reheat. Pile some on to the base of a bun, top with slaw and serve with extra BBQ sauce for dunking.