This recipe pairs together your traditional BBQ chicken legs with Coca Cola BBQ sauce, which adds together sweet and spicy flavours. Perfect for any family summer BBQ party or just on a nice warm day.
Prep 5 minutes
Cook 45 minutes
Ready in 50 minutes
|· 12 Chicken legs
· ¼ cup olive oil
· ½ teaspoon sea salt
· ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
· ½ teaspoon paprika
|· ½ teaspoon cumin
· ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 2 cloves garlic, chopped
· 3 tablespoons chopped onion
Coca Cola BBQ sauce
|· 1 cup ketchup
· ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
· 1 teaspoon garlic salt
|· 1 cup Coca-Cola
· ¼ cup brown sugar, loose
· ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- Place chicken legs into a large zip top plastic bag. In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, mix together olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic, and onion. Pour over chicken and seal zip top bag, taking care to remove as much air as possible.
- Move chicken around in the zip top bag to ensure all chicken is well coated. Place on a small, rimmed baking sheet or inside of a casserole dish and into the refrigerator to marinate for at least one hour to overnight.
- To bake chicken, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken onto rimmed baking sheet or a skillet coated with a bit of olive oil. Bake until the internal temperature registers 160 degrees F with an instant read thermometer, about 30-35 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and coat with BBQ sauce. Return to oven until the chicken registers 165 degrees F with an instant read thermometer.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest about 3 minutes before serving.
Coca Cola BBQ sauce
- Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan over medium to low heat.
- Allow to boil for about 5 to 10 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Remove from heat and pour into cleaned jars and store in the refrigerator for several months or use immediately.
For a quicker recipe, omit marinating time and simply mix together olive oil, spices, garlic and onions and coat chicken before baking. You can also use your favourite bottled BBQ sauce in place of my homemade recipe.