BBQ chicken breast with tikka masala sauce, marinated in yogurt and spices, cooked on the barbecue or in a griddle pan, then served in a creamy tomato sauce. Perfect with basmati rice or warm pitta bread.
Prep 30 minutes
Cook 50 minutes
Ready in 1 h 20 minutes
For the marinade
|· 225g (8 oz) natural yoghurt
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
· 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
|· 1 tablespoon minced fresh root ginger
· 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
· 3 chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
· 4 long skewers
For the tikka masala sauce
|· 1 tablespoon butter
· 2 clove garlic, minced
· 1 green chilli, finely minced
· 3 teaspoons ground cumin
· 2 teaspoons paprika
|· 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
· 225g (8 oz) passata
· 1 (227ml) pot double cream
· large bunch fresh coriander, freshly chopped
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, black pepper, fresh ginger and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir in chicken, cover and put in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat barbecue (alternatively, cook chicken in a griddle pan).
- Thread chicken onto skewers and discard remaining marinade. Cook till chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Melt butter in a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Saute garlic and chilli for 1 minute. Add 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir in tomato passata and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, for around 20 minutes. Add cooked chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with fresh coriander